Most of us use EPDM rubber crumb in our day-to-day life in many ways as it is used to make a variety of products like sports surfacing, playgrounds and modified asphalt, etc. It can also be used in synthetic fields as filler to support the blades of artificial grass to give the feel and texture of natural grass. In this write-up, we are going to discuss the benefits and applications of EPDM rubber crumb. But before discussing its usage you must know what this product is.
What is EPDM Rubber Crumb?
EPDM rubber crumbs are the small pallets created by shredding scrap tires or other types of rubber after removing fibers and steel from them. They are used to make EPDM or rubber containing Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer, a kind of artificial rubber that is used in various applications. According to D-1418, an ASTM standard, EPDM is a rubber of M-class which includes elastomers with a chain of saturated polyethylene or polymethylene. It can be used for cross-linking projects like vulcanization by sulfur as it is made from propylene, diene comonomer, and ethylene. Vinyl norbornene or VNB), ethylidene norbornene or ENB), and dicyclopentadiene or DCPD are the dienes used for manufacturing EPDM rubbers.
EPDM rubber crumbs are rubbers with the backbone of saturated polymers to make them better resistant to light, ozone, and heat than unsaturated rubbers like neoprene, natural rubber, and SBR, etc. It can be modified to be resistant to high temperatures up to 150 degrees Celsius so that it can be used externally for many decades without any deterioration. Other properties of EPDM rubber crumb may include the elasticity they have even at temperatures as low as up to -40 degrees C if formulated properly.
The Benefits of EPDM Rubber Crumb
EPDM rubber crumb can offer various benefits by using them in various applications. They can be used to make flooring, synthetic turfs, and lining in the tanks. Some of its benefits may include:
- Safer EPDM rubber flooring: Most children get injured very frequently by falling on the hard surfaces of the playground. But playgrounds lined with EPDM crumb can reduce the chances of such injuries as it is not that hard as well as non-slippery. It can minimize the impact of falling on it while playing.
- Better absorption of noise: It can be inconvenient for the people living in nearby houses if a playground is located near them due to the noise created by the children playing there. This noise can be reduced by using flooring made from EPDM rubber crumb as it can effectively absorb such noises instead of reflecting them.
- Durable in the long run: The flooring made from EPDM rubber crumb can help you to save a lot of money as it can withstand wear and tear even if used roughly because it is highly durable. It can also be used in extreme weather conditions as it is resistant to a wide range of temperatures as low as -40 degrees C to 150 degrees C.
- Variety of designs: EPDM rubber crumb is available in a wide range of colors and designs to choose from to make your space look more attractive according to the choice of all the members of your family. It can also allow you to customize your playground as per your personality.
- Need lesser maintenance: You can keep your playground made with EPDM crumb clean very easily as it requires minimum maintenance. It reduces the chances of selling up with water as well as makes it easy to remove stains just by using mild soap and water.
- Health benefits: the synthetic turf made from EPDM rubber crumb reduces the risk of various types of diseases that can be caused by doing physical activities regularly on traditional fields. These diseases may include various types of chronic diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, mental problems and certain types of cancer, etc. In this way, EPDM rubber can provide health benefits environmentally, socially, and economically by providing a safe surface to play on along with reducing the chances of fire as well as breeding mosquitoes by recycling old tires.
- Other benefits of EPDM rubber: The fields made of EPDM rubber crumb can also help in preserving water as you need not water them like traditional fields. It also saves the cost of fertilizers and pesticides used in natural fields for the proper growth grass on them and maintaining an insect free environment.
Applications of EPDM Rubber Crumb
The rubber made by using EPDM rubber crumb can be used in a wide range of applications like:
- Green roofs: If you want to make the roof of your house eco-friendly then you can use EPDM rubber crumb to create green roofs. These roofs will not only reduce noise pollution, and resist roots but also improve the quality of water, provide habitat to wildlife, and save a lot of energy for a long time.
- Lining ponds: You can relax in the natural ambiance of outdoor spaces along a stream or a water body like a pond. But you can make your pond safer not only for you but also for fish if you line it with pond liners made from EPDM rubber crumb. These pond liners can be installed easily and quickly as you can get preassembled liners in the market. They are resistant to leaks and toxic elements and can serve you for many decades to come.
- Solar roofs: People usually like to use roofing material that can serve them for a long time while installing solar roofs on their buildings. In this situation, EPDM rubber crumb can be an ideal roofing material as it can serve you even more than 50 years.
- Waterproof for balconies, facades, and terraces: Architects can change the design of normal-looking boundaries of a building when EPDM rubber crumb is used as a waterproofing material for terraces, facades, or balconies. It will provide them smooth surfaces and soft edges to transit seamlessly from walls to roof.
- Synthetic playground turf: The synthetic turfs made of EPDM rubber crumb provide a safe and eco-friendly environment for the children to play on. It reduces the chances of injuries as it is not as hard as natural ground. Moreover, you need not use fertilizers, pesticides, and water to maintain its greenery.